Wednesday, January 10, 2018

World Demographics Animation

I remembered seeing a very interesting visualization in my Engineering Statistics class. One which follows the relationship between fertility rate and life expectancy over time, showing how the demographics of third world countries are slowly approaching those of developed countries. That is, over time, the life expectancy of the global population is increasing, while fertility is decreasing. Check out this youtube video for more information!



So I grabbed some census data from the web, and tried to recreate what I saw above. Using Tableau made the problem ten times easier, as I only needed to aggregate the rows and columns with fertility rate, and life expectancy respectively, and add a page for each year. The result (after a little coloring) was actually really interesting! I made the animation into a gif using some free software, which displays pretty similar results when compared to the video above.

The workbook can be found here:

https://public.tableau.com/profile/samuel.l.peoples#!/vizhome/WorldDemographics_24/WorldDemographics



This post is part five of a larger Udemy Tableau Advanced course that I completed. The link to the github can be found here:

https://github.com/SLPeoples/Advanced-Tableau-DS

No comments:

Post a Comment